Friday, November 7, 2014

Live and Let Die


"When you were young and your heart was an open book
You used to say live and let live 
You know you did, You know you did, You know you did
But if this ever-changing world in which we live in 
Makes you give in and cry 
Say Live and Let Die"- Live and Let Die By Paul McCartney

I called Trevor as I drove home from Dave and Buster's.

"Talk to me." He answered.

"Sammy doesn't worked at Dave and Buster's anymore." I exclaimed.

"Ok?"

"I just left there. She told me she was working tonight, but she wasn't. Apparently, she hasn't worked there for a month." I explained.

"Maybe she's with Corey..."

"No. I was just with Corey for EJ's lessons."

Trevor sighed. "I felt like something was up with her..."

"We should stage an intervention!" I suggested.

"Lily no. You don't know what you're intervening. The only thing that's going accomplish is making her more secretive."

"What should I do? You know it's major if she's hiding and lying about what she's doing."

"Nothing Lily. You can't do anything. Just keep an eye out for her."

"Fine." I said, shortly.

"I'm serious Lily."

"I am too." I said, before getting off the phone.

I called Rocky to get her advice.

"She's grown, she doesn't have to explain herself to you. The second she doesn't pay rent or brings anymore bullshit to y'all's home, then you should demand some answers." Rocky advised me.

I thought about it. I debated over what I should do. For now, I had to agree with Trevor and Rocky.  I couldn't let Sammy know I was on to her. She would deflect or lie her way out of it if I didn't know the whole truth. So I would keep an eye on her, both of them until I could catch her in another lie!

"Fine. Will do."

"What did you and Jake talk about Sunday?" Rocky asked.

"How I wasn't invited to my best friend's place to watch football."

Rocky sighed. "Lily-"

"I'm kidding. I know it's super awkward. I wouldn't have come anyway. I hate that it's that way, but it is what it is." I sighed.

"Well, my momma is talking about coming out here for Thanksgiving, so you're definitely invited. I'm gonna need all the help I can get with her."

I laughed. "Yes! I love momma Smith! I'm sure by then Jake and I will be friendly if you wanna invite him. Even if we're not, I'm coming. I'm not missing your mom for nothing!"

"Don't sound so excited and don't you egg her on."

"Whatever Rocky."

---------------------

Thursday, I left work on my lunch break to meet Rachel. I hadn't worked out what I was going to say. I hoped it would magically come to me. I was going to start with an apology and go from there.

I arrived at the Snappy Salads before Rachel. I ordered a black organic ice tea and a yellowfin tuna salad, found a booth and waited for her. Normally I would wait to eat, but my next appointment at work was in less than two hours and I had charts to finish.

Rachel showed up 10 minutes later. She waved at me before getting in line. She joined me with a Greek salad and water. I gave her a hug before we sat down.

"How are you?" She asked me, smiling as she poked at her salad.

"Good. You?" I asked, nervously. What I was going to say hadn't come to me yet. I had no idea how to broach the subject.

"About the same. So what's going on? What did you wanna talk about?" She said, taking a bite of her salad.

"Um, about me and Forrest. I want to apologize to you." I said, bluntly. I just needed to get it out there.

She put down her fork and stared at me.

"I mean, the way I act around him." I said quickly. I took a deep breath. "Let me start again. Nothing has ever or will happen with Forrest. I recently realized how inappropriate I act with him. While I never thought anything about it, that doesn't mean it's ok. I'm really sorry and it won't happen anymore."

Rachel thought that over for a moment. "Did Serena say something to you?"

"She did. She's not very subtle. She's not the reason why I wanted to talk to you though. I honestly ignored her. My cousin, who's completely outside of the situation, pointed out how inappropriate I can be. It was never my intention."

Rachel picked up her fork again. She ate her salad while I watched her, puzzled. After she swallowed, she spoke.

"I've never been the jealous type. I know how Forrest is and I trust him. I will admit, you do make me uncomfortable. It's not just your behavior but also how much you two have in common-"

"That's because we grew up the same. He has even said I remind him of himself when he was younger. I understand it cause when I first met you both, I admired him and y'all's relationship. I would never do anything to disrespect that. I truly am sorry if my behavior came off that way."

Rachel nodded. "Ok. Thank you for talking to me. I appreciate it. I wanna apologize too for trying to set you up with Blake. I was hoping if you two hooked up I wouldn't feel so uncomfortable."

"I understand. I probably would have forbidden my boyfriend to hang out with someone who made me uncomfortable, so thank you." I said

"I thought about it, but I figured turning into a control freak isn't a good idea until after Forrest and I get married." Rachel commented.

"If you have any other guy friends, just as cute as Blake, maybe less slutty, let me know." I smiled.

She smiled too. "Will do."

--------------

Thursday after I came home from work, I threw on sweats and went for a jog. I was pushing my key into the lock when the door opened. Sammy stopped when she saw me.

"Hey. Goodnight, I'm closing tonight." She said, walking past me.

"Oh yeah?" I asked her. "Where at?

"Dave and Buster's" She answered, never looking back. "I'll see you later." She said, before heading to her car.

I didn't even stop to think about it. I locked the front door and hopped in my car too. I knew it was crazy, but she just lied! I needed to know what she was really up to.

It must have been fate because Sammy was stopped at a red light. I stayed a few cars behind her as I followed her to a ritzy area of Dallas called Highland Park. She pulled up and got out at a huge house. The house was gated, but not the community so I parked across the street.

I waited about 30 minutes before I started to get stir crazy. I called Trevor.

"Hey." I said, softly when he answered.

"Hey. Why are you talking so low?"

"I'm on a secret mission." I told him.

"Oh yeah, James Bond? What's the mission?"

"I followed Sammy out to this house in Highland Park." I answered.

"Are you fucking kidding me? Lily, leave."

"No. She lied to my face. I want to know why." I protested.

"Lily, I don't know what Sammy is into. She had a wad of cash in her purse one night. All big bills so I know it's not bartending money-"

"More reason for me to stay here and see what she's doing."

"No Lily. Go home."

"I will catch her in a lie. She will have to come clean. I'm staying." I said, stubbornly.

"Tell me where you are at."

I told him the name of the housing community. "Why?" I asked.

"Because I'm coming up there."

True to his word, 20 minutes later, Trevor parked in front on me. He got out of his car and walked over to mine. I let him in.

"So what's your plan Lily? Just hang out here all night?" He asked me, frustrated.

"If that's what it takes." I said, staring at him.

He sighed. "Whose house is this?"

"How should I know?"

"You're the worst spy ever." Trevor said, shaking his head as he pulled out his phone.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Looking into the public records. Seeing if I can get a name of the owner."

"Good idea."

I recited the numbers on the mailbox.

3 minutes later, he looked up.

"Got something. Bought in 2002 by a Ronald Jackson."

I felt sick to my stomach. Her fucking boss? She's fucking her boss. It made sense now.

"We can go now Trevor." I told him, starting up my car.

"No more spying?"

"Nope. Mission accomplished."



I stayed up and waited for Sammy. She didn't come home til after midnight.

I stood up from the couch as she locked the front door.

"How was work?" I asked her.

"Fine..." She said, heading towards the stairs.

"Is sleeping with your boss how you get jobs?"

"What are you talking about?" She froze, narrowing her eyes at me.

"I followed you Sammy. Trevor looked up the house. I know you were at Ron Jackson's house." I informed her.

"You fucking psycho. Why would you follow me?"

"Because you lied to my face. I know you haven't been working at Dave and Buster's." I accused her.

"I can do whatever I want. You had no right going behind my fucking back and talking to Corey or following me! Are you that desperate? You have nothing better to do?"

"Don't you turn this around on me. This is about you, fucking your boss. How could you do that to Corey? He really likes you."

She turned and headed up the stairs. I followed her.

"Does he know you're fucking for bartender jobs? Is that how Mr. Jackson interviews y'all?" I asked.

"You don't know what you're talking about. As long as I pay my rent, don't say shit to me. Stay the fuck out of my life." Sammy yelled, slamming her door in my face.

I just opened it and followed her in. "You don't know what you're doing. What's gonna happen when he gets tired of you? Or bored? How are you gonna pay rent?"

"I got my jobs because I earned them. Ron and I have an arrangement that has nothing to do with bartending." She shouted at me, throwing dagger at me with her eyes.

"An arrangement? What does that mean? He pays you for sex?" I asked, disgusted.

"Don't talk about things you don't understand and don't you dare fucking judge me. You let others do whatever they want to you for love and what do you have to show for it? Not a God damn thing. So why don't you worry about yourself and get the fuck out of my room!!!"

"This isn't over Sammy." I threatened her, staring her down as I left. She slammed the door as I left.

I went to my room and slammed the door as well. Anger tears rolled down my face as I went to bed.

Part of me was upset because I knew she was right. I did let people get away with too much. I let a lot of things slide because of love. That was going to stop.

Today.

I meant every word of what I said to Sammy. This wasn't over.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lily is going to become cold hearted because of Sammy always insulting her & making her feel bad about who she is....

fabher said...

shes a meddling little bitch.

Unknown said...

Why? Because she's concerned that Sammy may have bit off more than she can chew?

I do agree that she's gone a little far, following her and such. May make her meddlesome, but certainly not a bitch.

Zeina said...

Why is it bad? She lied about working at the bar, and Lily is looking out for her. If she's hooking, that's illegal.

Unknown said...

I never said it was bad. I said it was a bit too far and may make her meddlesome, but not a bitch (the above commenter called her a meddling bitch. I disagreed. Yes, she's meddlesome, but that's her friend, and she's worried she's doing something horrible. I may not have followed her and did a stake out (too far in my opinion, only because i wouldn't want to put myself in danger if she is up to no good)

Sweet Mercy said...

She maybe could have approached Sammy better. More concerned than accusing. Thank you for all the posts this week Janay!! It's been like Christmas!