Monday, May 5, 2014

Good Riddance (Time of your life)

"Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
So make the best of this test and don't ask why
It's not a question but a lesson learned in time
It's something unpredictable but in the end is right
I hope you had the time of your life" Good Riddance(Time of your life) by Green Day 


***Flashback****
February 2012
"Hey! You made it! Happy Singles Awareness Day!" I said, cheerfully as Ethan came up to the bar. He gave me a nod before sitting at a bar stool. I finished making two vodka sours and delivered them to my customers before turning my attention back to Ethan.
"I did. I thought it would be more crowded." He commented, looking around.
I shrugged, mixing him a drink. "Most women don't wanna come to an arcade for Valentine's day, that's why we have the drink specials. This weekend will be full of teens and singles, so I'm enjoying the peace while I can." I explained to him, handing him a drink.
He looked at it. "What is this?"
"It's called the Good Riddance."
He cocked an eyebrow at me before taking a sip. He sputtered before swallowing. "That's awful."
I laughed. “It’s beer and lemonade. You said you don't drink and you're driving..."
"Couldn't just get me a beer?" He asked, with a smirk.
"No, I needed something mixed so I can name it and it can be symbolic; let go of the drama and bullshit and everything else and just have fun." I smiled.
He nodded. “I can do that."
"Cool. Your brother is already here." I walked away to take another order. After fulfilling it, I walked back to Ethan.
"Where is your boyfriend taking you for Valentine's?" He asked me.
"No boyfriend." I blushed, looking down.
"I thought that guy, the one at your house-" He started.
"Trevor is just a friend." I cut him off, quickly, not wanting to go down that road.
"Ok...so where would you want your boyfriend to take you?"
"Here would be cool." I answered.
"Really?" He answered, questioningly.
"Yeah. I'm a huge kid. That's the reason EJ and I get along so well." I said.
"One of the reasons." He said, giving me a sexy smile. I noticed how dark his brown eyes are; like melted chocolate. The way he was studying me made me flush.
"I gotta get back to work.” I replied, busying myself.
"Alright. Make sure you find me during your break. We can play a game."
I smiled and nodded.
***Present***
"Sammy!!!"
"Lily!!!"
Walking into Dave and Buster's filled me with nostalgia. I can't help but remember the first time Ethan and I hung out together without EJ. I automatically walked to the lower section to the huge bar and found Sammy immediately. We ran to each other like lost lovers. As I hugged her, I noticed how much she's changed.  Her hair was cut in a honey blonde bob that looked good with her naturally tanned skin due to her Mexican heritage. She was wearing black slacks and a black uniform shirt.
"Ohmigosh Lily you look so good!"
"So do you" I gushed.
"I look the same. You look amazing. I almost didn't recognize you!"
We laughed and made our way to the bar. I greeted everyone I knew from working here before. After I hugged my old assistant general manager, I settled down with Sammy. She told me about the job, her apartment and caught me up on her family. I told her about my upcoming job interview and apartment hunting. We planned on getting the old gang back together; at least everyone in driving distance.
"You think Trevor will come?" She asked, slyly.
I sighed. I honestly had no idea. Trevor was one of my closest friends from Baylor. Me, Rocky and Trevor were a tight trio because we graduated from Baylor and moved to Dallas. We had other outside friends, Sammy being one of them, but inter-dating made things tricky. Trevor and Sammy started hooking up right before I left. I don't know how serious it got. Trevor and I didn't speak much while I was in California, and never about relationships. I had no idea what happened or why they broke it off. Truthfully, I didn't care to know.
"I don't know, but I definitely will be inviting him." I answered honestly.
"Ok. I'm fine with that. Just wanted a heads up."
"Sammy! I need you at the bar." A young women yelled from across the bar.
"Urgh," Sammy sighed, "You do know if that job doesn't come through, you have one here, right?"
I laughed. "I'll keep that in mind"
I hung around to watch her work and the Mavericks lose the series. After the game ended, I said goodbye to everyone and left.

No comments: