Monday, May 5, 2014

South of the Border


"So join me in this bed that I'm in
Push up on me and sweat, darling
So I’m gonna put my time in
I won't stop until the angels sing
Jump in that water, be free
Come south of the border with me
Jump in that water, be free
Come south of the border with me"
South of the Border by Ed Sheeran

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone! My mother is part Dominican, but my biological father has never been determined. Considering I was born in California and loved Mexican food, who knows, maybe my father is Mexican. Regardless, I was celebrating and thanking my new housemates by having dinner ready when they came home.

Rocky got off around 5 pm every day. Brandon was an executive at Target so his hours varied, but he opened this morning so he would be home around 4.

I headed to the grocery store. I bought ingredients for chicken enchiladas, the fixings for queso, pico de gallo and guacamole and chips. The last stop before heading home was the liquor store. I bought Dos Equis, margarita mixer and tequila.

After hauling in all my groceries, I got started on dinner. I was putting the enchiladas in the oven and singing and dancing to Pitbull (I know he's Cuban!) when Brandon entered the kitchen.

"Hola! Como Estas?!" I greeted him warmly.

"Mas o menos. Y tu?" He said, sitting down at the table in the breakfast nook.

"Muy bien! Tienes hambre?" I asked, pulling out two beers.

"Uh... that's the extent of my Spanish, besides curse words and "bend over"." He admitted, grinning, as I slid a lime in the top of his beer bottle.

"Ay Papi!" I groaned, shaking my head and handing him a beer.

"Just kidding. I'm starving"

I swatted him on the head, before setting out the chips, pico, queso and guacamole in front of him. He pulled out his phone and started taking pictures of the food. 

 "Dig in. Enchiladas and margaritas will be served as soon as Rocky gets home" I smiled.

"Where did you get the enchiladas from?" He asked, excitedly, filling a plate with chips and dip.

"I made them." I said, proudly. He gave me a funny look, which I chose to ignore.

When Rocky got home, she was nowhere near as subtle.

"Lily, I love you. It smells amazing, but I can't afford to miss any work from food poisoning." She said, eying me distrustfully. Brandon burst out laughing.

"Fine, I'll eat." I rolled my eyes and piled a plate with two enchiladas and pico. I grabbed a margarita and sat at the table. As I ate, I moaned and groaned with every bite. Brandon caved in first and made his plate and Rocky eventually did the same. After eating, Brandon raved while Rocky said "ask me in a couple hours."

I laughed and cleaned the kitchen, refusing their help. When I finally finished and checked my phone, I saw I had new Facebook notifications. I'm not a Facebook junkie. I hardly posted things on Facebook, even while in college. Partially because I never have anything too exciting to share and I didn't want my dad to know my every move. I did use it to keep up with my friends. I saw that Brandon tagged me and Rocky in a post hours ago. He had pictures of the food, margaritas and the beer I sat out for him.

It read:
Happy Cinco de Mayo to me! This is what I came home to! #HappyCincoDeMayo #MuyBien #StayThirstyMyFriends

I laughed to myself as I noticed it already had a ton of likes and comments. Most of them said Happy Cinco de Mayo and how lucky he is. I saw that Ethan commented while I was cleaning the kitchen.

Ethan: Looks good. Rocky did a great job

Brandon corrected him immediately.

Brandon: Naw, Lily cooked today 

Trevor commented after that.

Trevor: Is everyone ok? No fires? Or E.R. trips?

Rocky responded 5 minutes ago.

Rocky: Nope. I filled up on chips because I wanted to make sure the enchiladas were ok. Going back for seconds now.

I immediately typed a reply

Me: Y'all are cold-blooded. Sitting here talking about me while I cleaned the kitchen 🤦‍♀️

Brandon: Lol. Not me. You're the best roomy ever! #RoomyLove

Me: What did I tell you about calling me your roomy? We are NOT sharing a room

Brandon: Let's make it happen! #MyGirlGottaGirlfriend

The responses came instantaneously after his post.

Trevor: LMAO💋💋

Me: Gross

Rocky: Keep wishing

Ethan: This just got weird

Jake (random friend of Brandon's): I won't believe it unless there's a film

I changed into some workout clothes and get ready to go for a jog. When I stepped into the living room, I heard Rocky laughing and saw Brandon shaking his head.

"What's up?" I asked her.

"Check your Facebook" Rocky said, between laughs. I did and saw Brandon and Ethan's dad responded to the post.

Albert Carter: What's gross/weird about that? Your mom has girlfriends.

I laughed with Rocky.

Then Brandon responded to his dad

Brandon: Thanks dad. You just killed it.

Albert Carter: Good. Next time think about what you want to post for the world to see.

Rocky and I both liked his comment, while laughing at Brandon.



6 comments:

Stephanie Marie said...

I like the way you started this blog but I feel like it is jumping alot and I am quite confused. If you could just do a whos who type thing that would be awesome. I will be back to read more post :) more then likely everyday

Janay333 said...

First of all, YAY my first commentator! Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid it might get confusing with the flashbacks. I'll put up a character guide and the flashbacks should be done by in a couple of weeks. Thanks for reading!

Unknown said...

Just found this blog today. Thanks for the distraction :D

Janay333 said...

Thanks for reading :-)

Anonymous said...

Just found this blog today and i'm loving it, keep up d good work!

Janay333 said...

Yay! Thank you so much :-)