Sunday, May 4, 2014

Coming Home

I'm coming home, I'm coming home
Tell the world I'm coming home
Let the rain wash away
All the pain of yesterday
I know my kingdom awaits
And they've forgiven my mistakes
I'm coming home, I'm coming home
Tell the world that I'm coming
Coming Home by Skylar Grey
I spent the rest of my weekend getting settled into Rocky's house. It didn't take much; we lived in the house together during my graduate years. She saved up and bought the house a year after she graduated from Baylor. She works for a realtor company as a loan officer and got a great deal on a foreclosed house. When I graduated a year later, I moved in with her, paid rent and helped with the renovations.
The house was pretty much the same, besides the addition of a flat screen, new furniture and gaming system, all courtesy of Brandon, Ethan’s little brother and now Rocky's boyfriend. They've been together for a year but he moved in after they dated 8 months. I was surprised but thrilled when I found out they were dating. Now, I was hiding out in my room, trying to avoid him. He was okay with me moving in; we always had fun together when Ethan and I were hooking up. I was excited at the prospect of us all hanging out again. That was before I realized how upset Brandon had been with me. I wasn't looking forward to anymore awkward conversations.
I was able to avoid Brandon by preparing for my interview, looking into apartments and connecting with old friends. I was in my room Sunday getting ready to go to Dave and Busters. I worked there as a bartender while I was in graduate school. It was definitely the hang out spot for my friends. We played games, watched sports, and scored discounted drinks. My friend Sammy still worked there. She was the lead bartender now so I was going to watch the Mavericks play the Spurs and catch up with her.
I was brushing my hair and putting it into a side low ponytail when I heard a knock on my door.
"Come in!" I called. I looked up, startled to see Brandon standing at the door. He was a few inches shorter than Ethan and had a boyish charm versus Ethan's mature masculinity. His charm was on full display as he grinned at me.
"Hey. How's it going?"
"Good, just getting ready to head out." I answered, grabbing my purse.
"Oh."
"Did you need something?" I asked, trying to be cool and casual.
"Yeah, I wanted to talk to you."
I groaned inwardly. "Well, I have some time before I have to go-"
"That's what I wanted to talk to you about. I feel like you're avoiding me." He said, still standing outside the door.
I focused on finding my keys in my bag. "I've been busy..."
"Yeah, avoiding me." He smiled. His smile reminded me of Ethan's and I relaxed.
"You got me. It’s just so awkward, on so many levels. As Rocky's boyfriend, Ethan's brother, EJ's uncle." I smiled on the last one.
"I'm sure that me being Rocky's boyfriend is why it's awkward between us now."
"She told you?"
"That I might have called you bitchy?"
"Oh no, she said bitch." I clarified, smartly.
"Does it make a difference?"
"Big difference! Huge!"
He laughed and finally came in the room and flopped down on the bed with me.
"Well whatever I said, it was about a girl that hurt my brother. Not the girl who is EJ's best friend or the girl who's one of mine and Rocky's close friends. And especially not about our new roomy."
I smiled. "Roomy? Don't say roomy. That sounds like we're sharing a dorm room. Say housemate."
"Roomy. I'm gonna speak it to existence, even if it's just for a night."
"Perv!" I laughed, playfully shoving him before hopping off the bed.
"Hey Lily?"
"Yeah?" I responded, turning to face him.
"I'm sorry. I mean, I said I didn't want to be in the middle of you two, but I was. For me and Rocky's relationship, we're staying out of you and Ethan's. Just know that I'm rooting for you." He winked.
"Thanks Brandon." I said, before giving him a hug.

No comments: